With the amount of activity that happens in your kitchen, it’s important to make it as functional as it is stylish. If done well, a new kitchen will significantly add value and functionality to your house. However, renovating your kitchen is a huge undertaking, not to mention costly.
Most kitchen renovations in Singapore cost between 3% and 8% of your home’s value. So depending on the size of your property, it can set you back between S$800 and S$30,000. The total cost will also be affected by the cost of materials, project scope, and renovation contractors you choose.
But before we get into detail on how much a kitchen renovation costs in Singapore, let’s take a look at some important renovation rules you need to know about.
Kitchen Renovation Rules You Should Know
Before you start any remodeling process, you must have a thorough understanding of what you can and can’t do. This will help you avoid trouble in the future. Some of the general renovation rules include:
- Only homeowners are allowed to renovate their property. To get approval from HDB for any renovation work, you need to show proof of ownership.
The only exception is to have a letter of permission written and signed by your landlord. But in some cases, even this proof is not accepted.
- Follow the renovation schedule. The general rule is to get any renovation work done between Mondays and Saturdays from 9am to 6pm. This schedule is strictly followed, especially in HDB flats.
- Scope of renovation works. You are not allowed to change the Gross Floor Area (GFA) of your property. Additionally, you are not allowed to make any changes to the external facade of your property, such as the installation of chimney chutes, adding new pipelines, and such.
- If your planned renovation will alter the GFA or the external facade of your property, you’ll need to request special permission for the HDB or Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA).
- Properly dispose of waste material. Do not simply throw the waste materials in the common garbage chute. Ask your contractor to dispose of the materials properly.
If you’re renovating the kitchen of your HDB flat, there are additional rules you need to consider:
- Hacking and demolitions: You’ll need special permission for hacking and demolition works, such as taking down a wall or other structural components.
- Plumbing: You need to hire a (Public Utilities Board) PUB-registered plumber
- Piping: All newly installed pipes cannot be concealed – they have to be external.
For kitchen renovations, here are some of the specific guidelines set by the HDB
(Source from HDB| Building Works)
Factors That Affect the Kitchen Renovation Cost
While the general kitchen renovation costs around 3% to 8% of your property’s total value, this will only give you a ballpark estimate. For instance, light renovation projects which include painting and tiling work may start at S$800 while extensive projects that involve hacking, plumbing, and carpentry can start at around S$5,000.
As such, the total renovation cost will depend on your requirements and other factors. To help you have an idea of how much you should set aside, here are some factors that affect your renovation.
- Kitchen size: The larger the space, the higher the costs because you’ll be spending more money on additional materials and labor hours. For example, your chose ceramic kitchen flooring tiles that cost around S$8 per sq. foot. This cost will go up as your land area increases.
- Type of home: HDB and BTO kitchens are much more affordable to renovate than landed properties. Aside from the size, the layout of the kitchen of HDBs is already set. You can’t overhaul it unless you get the necessary permissions to do so.
- Cost of materials: The type of materials you choose will have a substantial effect on your total costs. Quality materials are more expensive. However, before you choose to skimp on quality to save on costs, keep in mind that poor-quality materials will lead to poor-quality results.
As a tip, list the materials you are willing to compromise on. For example, you may forgo using top-quality wooden shelves, but you can’t compromise on backsplash materials.
- Renovation contractor: Interior designers can take care of everything from designing your space to renovating your kitchen. However, they may have hefty fees. A renovation contractor is much cheaper since you will be directly dealing with them; thus, you don’t have to pay additional middlemen fees.
- Your DIY skills: If you can paint the kitchen walls on your own, you can save on total costs. But if you don’t have the skills or time to perform these renovation works, don’t try them yourself.
Considerations Before Renovating
Now that you are familiar with the factors that will affect your kitchen renovation costs, you are more equipped to set a budget. But before that, there are a few more things you need to consider before you start comparing quotes from different renovation contractors.
- Decide on what changes you wish to achieve and what you plan to keep intact.
- Take a look at your kitchen layout. For instance, an HDB kitchen is already pre-set so consider if it is something you can work with.
- Set a realistic budget.
- Estimate how much storage you’ll need in your kitchen.
- If you plan to dismantle the kitchen cabinets and install new ones, it will add to your total costs for hacking, carpentry, and installation.
- A kitchen is a wet area. So you need to consider waterproofing and ponding.
- Take note of the kitchen appliances you need and where you plan to place them. Additionally, note the type of stove you need or is allowed in an HDB kitchen.
- When choosing the materials, take into account the maintenance costs involved to keep your kitchen in top condition.
- Engage only with licensed renovation contractors and accredited interior designer firms.
Kitchen Renovation Costs
Kitchen renovation can cost around S$800 for light renovation works, such as painting and tiling to approximately S$27,000 onward for extensive projects. Moderate kitchen makeovers can set you back S$5,000 on average.
Here is a breakdown estimate of the general remodeling works involved in a kitchen renovation package. It includes hacking, replacing kitchen countertops, re-tiling floors, as well as installing new kitchen cabinets.
|Renovation Work||Average Cost (Basic to Extensive)|
|Dismantling and Hacking Works||S$500 – S$3,500|
|Kitchen Cabinet Renovations||S$150 – S$450 per sq. foot(depends on the material)|
|Kitchen Countertop Renovations||S$2,500 – S$8,000(depends on the material)|
|Kitchen Flooring and Wall Tiles||S$9 – S$15 per square foot(depends on the material)|
|Sink Renovations||S$800 – S$1,100|
|Plumbing Work||S$200 – S$2,000|
|Painting Work||S$200 – S$500|
|Installation of Kitchen Appliances (excluding the cost of the appliances)||S$500 – S$1,200|
Note that the prices listed above are only cost estimates. They may vary per renovation contractor, market condition, and actual renovation prices.
Here’s a simple illustration:
Let’s say Mr. Park is planning a kitchen renovation project for his new 3-room 60 sqm HDB flat. He only plans to do basic renovation works, such as waterproofing, tiling, and installation of new kitchen cabinets. On top of that, he also needs basic plumbing, electrical, and painting work.
Using the Qanvast renovation calculator, his estimated renovation budget should be approximately S$4,600 to S$5,520.
5 Best Kitchen Renovation Contractors in Singapore
Even if you have significant DIY skills, it is best to seek the services of professionals. Doing major renovation works on your own can lead to more costly repairs. That said, a good contractor will not only make the whole remodeling process easier, but they will also ensure quality work and timely completion.
Additionally, the right contractor will help you maximize your budget for an overall convenient and hassle-free experience. Take a look at the table below for some of the best kitchen renovation contractors in Singapore.
|Renovation Contractor||Best Known For||Kitchen Renovation Singapore Packages|
|Offers leading kitchen renovation services and high-quality work at reasonable prices||
The kitchen renovation package includes:
They also offer customized packages for your needs
|Custom, in-house carpentry works||
Package A1: Replace Kitchen
Package A2: Kitchen Makeover
|Custom and built-in woodwork products||
|Deal with all types of kitchens – from commercial to residential kitchens||
|Proven experience in various living spaces, including HDB, condos, and landed properties||
Tips To Reduce Your Overall Cost
Worried about the potential costs? Don’t fret! There are ways to keep your costs low without sacrificing quality.
1. Stick to your budget: You can easily get sidetracked during the remodeling process. That said, make sure to create a list of things you need for your kitchen renovation. Be clear about what renovation works you need and what needs to be prioritized. This allows you to have a ballpark estimate and help you stay within budg
2. Look for renovation packages: There are plenty of contractors that offer kitchen renovation packages. These packages will cover basic elements with a standard design and cost of materials. The catch? These packages may not be easily customized, but it is a good option if you want to stay within budget.
3. Repurpose: Maybe you don’t need a complete kitchen overhaul. Look at what you currently have and consider what can be retained and repurposed. For example, if the existing kitchen cabinets have ample space, then maybe you don’t need new ones. You can opt for a new paint job instead.
4. Choose to overlay new tiles: If your existing tiles are in good condition, you can simply overlay new tiles. Completely removing or hacking the old tiles and installing new ones will add to your overall costs. Overlaying will save you time and money.
5. Save up on materials: Take your time researching which materials you want. For instance, you can choose quality alternatives to high-cost materials for your countertop and backsplash. See if you can compromise other items on your list.
6. Avoid customization: Customized cabinets or built-in furniture and accessories can shoot up your total costs. Consider this before requesting your contractor for custom-made cabinets.
Lastly, when choosing the right kitchen renovation contractors, take your time researching and comparing quotes. Choose a firm that can provide you with a kitchen renovation package that covers everything you need at a cost you can afford. Before signing a contract for the package, ask if there are other additional or hidden fees.
Is It Better To Use a Renovation Loan or a Personal Loan?
When you need financing for your home remodeling project, you need a home renovation loan. This type of loan is specifically created to fund renovation activities, such as electrical works, painting, and structural alterations. In contrast, personal loans are meant to fund any personal expenses.
What makes renovation loans more attractive, especially if you’re taking one with a bank, is that it has lower interest rates as compared to personal loans. Plus, it has shorter loan terms which can lead to a more affordable total loan cost.
Lastly, the total loan amount will depend on the contractor’s quotation. This will help you stay within budget and avoid over-borrowing.
If a traditional bank renovation loan is not available to you, consider taking a renovation loan with a licensed money lender in Singapore. With a legal lender, you can borrow up to 6x your monthly income if you’re earning at least S$20,000 a year. They can also approve your renovation loan within an hour of application, making them an excellent choice if you need urgent cash.
Kitchen renovation is a fun and exciting project, but it also entails significant expenses. If you choose a cheap kitchen renovation contractor and don’t skimp on essentials, your kitchen will look as you have imagined. That said, check your finances and ensure that you are prepared for the costs.
- Most kitchen renovations in Singapore cost between 3% and 8% of your home’s value.
- Light renovation projects may start at S$800 depending on the size of your property while extensive projects can start at S$5,000.
- Make sure to follow the kitchen renovation rules to avoid trouble in the future. Note that you need special permission for hacking and demolition works.
- You can get a renovation loan with a licensed money lender if you need a higher loan amount and a fast approval process.
Need reliable financing for your dream kitchen? 1 Fullerton Credit offers home renovation loan plans at attractive interest rates and flexible repayment terms. They guarantee easy application and quick approvals. Request a quote today!